How to pick a new domain name? After setting up your new venture, it is typical to start working on ways to grow it. And as the world advances online, your growth strategy has to include an offline strategy as well as an online one.
And when it has to do with creating an online strategy for brand promotion, it is no longer news that a premium domain name is the easiest way to go about it. But how then do you go about getting one?
This question has always been an issue for most startup entrepreneurs, so we decided to address it in this article. The following procedures will help you find the best premium domain name for your new venture:
How to Pick a Premium Domain Name in Three Easy Steps
These are three important conditions you must look out for if you are to get a premium domain name.
1. Consider Brandable Names
Your domain name must be readily brandable for your business to be successful. Brandable names are one-of-a-kind, uncommon, and memorable. The most brandable domain names in the market are premium domain names, and they not only offer your brand a distinct personality to grow into but also serve as the cornerstone of your business.
Furthermore, an EMD (Exact Match Domain) is recommended for entrepreneurs who want to get the best results from their domain name since brandable domain names are typically developed from brandable business names.
As a result, firms with strong brand names, such as Apple, Amazon, Microsoft, and Google, also have good domain names, which reinforce their brand image online.
So you should concentrate on selecting a memorable business name. And you could do that by:
- Creating Interesting Words: Craft words that express the essence of your brand’s products and identity. This method was used by companies like Telegram and Gmail.
- Use Common Words: Dictionaries and thesauruses are great places to look for popular words that match your brand’s identity. Consider these companies: Twitter, Target, and Tinder. These businesses incorporated their own meanings into well-known words.
- Use Abbreviations: One method for creating a memorable business name is to shorten long and difficult words. An example is Microsoft, a fantastic business name that’s actually an acronym for “Microcomputer software,” and Instagram, which is a shortening of “Instant Camera and Telegram.”
- Use a Trustworthy Business Name Generator: Use a company name generator to get catchy business name ideas that resonate with your brand’s values.
2. Get Short Names
Aside from brandable names, another fundamental rule for digital names is to keep them short and simple. Short domain names are quite useful since they are simple to refer to, learn, and search on the internet. Not to mention how well a short domain name fits with our limited human memory capacity.
3. Choose Only Top-Level Domains (TLDs)
Top-level domain extensions such as ‘.com,’ ‘.org,’ and ‘.net’ are commonly used for premium domains, and notwithstanding the fact that the internet has grown significantly, these domain extensions continue to dominate.
The Domain Name Association reports that the number of new domain extensions has surged 145% in recent years to over 1500. But customers, on the other hand, naturally believe that any domain names they encounter must utilize one of the three top-level domain extensions listed above.
Keep in mind that a top-level domain is significantly more expensive than other regular domain extensions, yet every company wants to possess one because of how effective they can be.
However, if you are unable to obtain a .com extension for your domain, country-code TLDs such as ‘.co and .uk,’ as well as fast-rising extensions such as ‘.io’ and ‘.co’, can also perform well.
Get Your Domain Name Right
Choosing a premium domain is, once again, the simplest method to attain online success. To achieve this effectively, however, you must choose domains that correspond to your brand name and values. Also, get domains without spelling errors, symbols, and digits.
Grant Polachek is the head of branding for Squadhelp.com, 3X Inc 5000 startup and disruptive naming agency. Squadhelp has reviewed more than 1 million names and curated a collection of the best available names on the web today. We are also the world’s leading crowdsource naming platform, supporting clients from early-stage startups to Fortune 500 companies.